Opinion pieces and invited editorials
Helen Sowerbutts, Caroline Fertleman. How best to use email with patients. BMJ Careers. 12th Jan 2016
Hannah K Mitchell, Alice L Fulton, Michael R Fertleman, Caroline R Fertleman. Are you “Jane” or “Dr Smith”? Does formality between trainers and trainees affect training and clinical practice? BMJ Careers. 2nd Dec 2015
Fertleman, C., & Carroll, W. (2013). Protecting students and promoting resilience. BMJ, 347, f5266.
Alexandra Brightwell, Susie Minson, Allison Ward, Caroline Fertleman. Returning to clinical training after maternity leave. BMJ Careers. Oct 9th 2013
Peer review publications
Medical education, molecular genetics, clinical
- Pan X, Collingwoode-Williams T, Antley A, Brenton H, Congdon B, Drewett O, Gillies MFP, Swapp D, Pleasence P, Fertleman C and Delacroix S (2018) A Study of Professional Awareness Using Immersive Virtual Reality: The Responses of General Practitioners to Child Safeguarding Concerns. Robot. AI 5:80.
- Caroline Fertleman, Phoebe Aubugeau-Williams, Carmel Sher, Ai-Nee Lim, Sophie Lumley, Sylvie Delacroix, Xueni Pan (2018). A discussion of virtual reality as a new tool for training healthcare professionals. Frontiers in Public Health 6:44
- Jacob, H., Fertleman, C. (2017). An inclusive approach to developing an undergraduate syllabus.Medical Education, 51 (5), 537-538.
- Mitchell, R., Jacob, H., Morrissey, B., Macaulay, C., Gomez, K., Fertleman, C. (2017). Managing outpatient consultations: from referral to discharge.Archives of disease in childhood. Education and practice edition,
- Jacob, H., Grodzinski, B., Fertleman, C. (2016). Fifteen-minute consultation: problems in the healthy child-toilet training.Archives of disease in childhood. Education and practice edition, 101 (3), 119-123.
- Jacob, H., Fertleman, C.R. (2016). Learning the hard way: 10 lessons for developing undergraduate curricula.Medical Education, 50 (12), 1186-1188.
- Jacob, H., Alderman, B., Fertleman, C. (2016). Maximizing medical student engagement in specialty placements: Ideas from child health.Medical Teacher, 38 (7), 751
- Jacob, H., Alderman, B., Fertleman, C. (2016). Webcast: We hope not the future of medical school teaching.Medical Teacher, 38 (7), 751.
- Menzies, L., Minson, S., Brightwell, A., Davies-Muir, A., Long, A., Fertleman, C. (2015). An evaluation of demographic factors affecting performance in a paediatric membership multiple-choice examination.Postgraduate Medical Journal, 91 (1072), 72-76.
- Stokes, V., Fertleman, C. (2015). Late neonatal presentation of reduced arm movement due to painful infective lymphadenopathy.BMJ Case Reports, 2015
- Race, H., Sen, C., Kelly, C., Fertleman, C. (2015). Open access video resource for paediatric exam revision.Medical Education, 49 (11), 1164-1165.
- Birley, K.J., Moreiras, J., Fertleman, C.R., Bates, I. (2014). Integrated pharmacy and medical student practical prescribing teaching.Medical Education, 48 (5), 530-531.
- Kugler, B., Woodman, J., Carroll, J., Fertleman, C., Gilbert, R. (2013). Child protection guidance needs to address parent behaviour.Child Care and Development, 39 (5),
- Funnell, D., Fertleman, C., Carrey, L., Brierley, J. (2012). Quantitative valuation placed by children and teenagers on participation in two hypothetical research scenarios.Journal of Medical Ethics, 38 (11), 686-691.
- Winckworth, L.C., Tricot, T., Fertleman, C., Blumberg, R. (2011). An unusual complication of endoscopic intestinal biopsy.Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, 47 (11), 842.
- Popat, A., Behjati, S., Fertleman, C.R. (2011). Child protection – what junior doctors need to know.Student BMJ, 19 2145.
- Fertleman, C.R., Ferrie, C.D., Aicardi, J., Bednarek, N.A.F., Eeg-Olofsson, O., Elmslie, F.V., Malmros, I.N.O. (2007). Paroxysmal extreme pain disorder (previously familial rectal pain syndrome).Neurology, 69 (6), 586-595.
- Yiangou, Y., Facer, P., Chessell, I.P., Bountra, C., Chan, C., Fertleman, C., Anand, P. (2007). Voltage-gated ion channel Nav1.7 innervation in patients with idiopathic rectal hypersensitivity and paroxysmal extreme pain disorder (familial rectal pain).Neuroscience Letters, 427 (2), 77-82.
- Fertleman, C.R., Baker, M.D., Parker, K.A., Moffatt, S., Elmslie, F.V., Abrahamsen, B., Gardiner, R.M. (2006). SCN9A mutations in paroxysmal extreme pain disorder: allelic variants underlie distinct channel defects and phenotypes.Neuron, 52 767-774
- Fertleman, C.R., Ferrie, C.D. (2006). What’s in a name–familial rectal pain syndrome becomes paroxysmal extreme pain disorder Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, 77 (11), 1294-1295.
- Fertleman, C., Gibbs, J., Eisen, S. (2005). Video improved role play for teaching communication skills.Medical Education, 39 (11), 1155-1156.
- Fertleman, C.R., Pollitzer, M., Smith, V., Anand, P. (2003). Characterisation of a Rare Inherited Disorder of Pain Sensation – Familial Rectal Pain.Clinical Science, 104 (s49)
- Fertleman, C.R., Rosenberg, E., Tizzard, J. (2003). Fertility Ability: a pilot study to evaluate teaching secondary school pupils about infertility and assisted conception.Reproduction, 39.
- Murch, S.H., Fertleman, C.R., Rodrigues, C., Morgan, G., Klein, N.J., Meadows, N., Walker-Smith, J.A. (1999). Autoimmune enteropathy with distinct mucosal features in T-cell activation deficiency: the contribution of T cells to the mucosal lesion.Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, 28 (4), 393-399.
- Fertleman, C.R., Gallagher, A., Rossiter, M.A. (1997). Evaluation of fast track admission policy for children with sickle cell crises: questionnaire survey of parents’ preferences.BMJ, 315 (7109), 650.
- Peppas I, Fitchett E, Kenworthy W, Kimkool P, Fertleman CR G185(P) Designing transformative osces: lessons from an adolescent smoking cessation station 2018;103:A76.
- Peppas I, Fitchett E, Kenworthy W, Kimkool P, Fertleman CR. G19(P) Working in partnership with adolescent smokers to improve the communication skills of medical students. 2018;103:A7-A8.
- Fertleman C, Pan X, Delacroix S G162 Evidence that an immersive virtual reality scenario can be used to train safeguarding to doctors in primary care 2018;103:A66-A67.
- Drewett O, Hann G, Delacroix S, Pan X, Fertleman CR. G146 Can a virtual reality communication scenario be used to teach general practitioners and trainees how to recognise and manage safeguarding issues? 2018;103:A60.
- Vickers Z, Avula H, Fertleman CR. G444(P) Medical students embracing change: how do we learn from lessons of the past to be great doctors of the future? 2018;103:A181.
- Fertleman, C.R., Delacroix, S., Sher, C., Pan, X., Lumley, S., Lim, A. (2017). Can a short interactive communication scenario in virtual reality alter future clinician behaviour to reduce unnecessary antibiotic prescribing in General Practice?
- Schindler, N., Stilwell, P., Fertleman, C.R. (2017). Does having children change a paediatrician’s clinical practice?
- Verbeeten, P., Fertleman, C.R., Datt, C., Cohen, K. (2017). Inquire, involve, inspire – a youth engagement strategy.
- Fertleman, C.R., Stoll, S. (2017). Women and the new junior doctor contract.
- Mitchell, R., Fertleman, C. (2016). G206(P) Improving trainees’ confidence in managing outpatients: Complete clinic management.
- Sen, C.S., Race, H., Saroey, P., Fertleman, C. (2016). G207(P) Growing future consultants – using START to cross the boundary between Trainee and Consultant.
- von Stempel, C., Hann, G., Fertleman, C. (2016). G309(P) New child protection body maps: Design to implementation.
- Jacob, H., Ho, J., Connaire, S., Bearpark, N., Fertleman, C. (2016). G79 Beyond the conference: Getting orally presented education projects published.
- Fertleman, C.R., Clark, M. (2016). Transition to Parenthood; Supporting parents through effective communication.
- Jacob, H.C., Fertleman, C.R. (2015). G176 A national undergraduate child health curriculum: what are the core components?
- Race, H., James, D., Fertleman, C. (2015). G177 Do the new formative work based placed assessments improve educational impact?
- Menzies, L.A.C., Smith, S.J., Moreiras, J., Fertleman, C.R. (2015). G179 Improving leadership and management skills in junior doctors approaching registrar level through a transition to leadership course.
- Morrissey, B., Winyard, P., Fertleman, C. (2015). G180 Evaluation of a novel mentorship programme for medical students in paediatrics.
- Fawbert, K.H., James, D., de Keyser, P., Fertleman, C.R. (2015). G181(P) Reflections on safeguarding training: what new skills do paediatric trainees value?
- Reece, A., Fertleman, C. (2015). G187(P) Aiming for the apex – real-time assessment of teaching using medical students in a compulsory, multi-station postgraduate assessment to assess the “does” at the top of miller’s pyramid.
- Keene, J., Fertleman, C., Moreiras, J. (2015). G188(P) Aiding transition from st3 – st4 in paediatric trainees . the results of a survey of both trainees and trainers.
- Bali, S., Jacob, H., Fertleman, C. (2015). G362(P) Child nutrition: a “need to feed” future doctors.
- Bali, S., Jacob, H., Fertleman, C. (2015). G499(P) Child safety awareness in medical students: a need for the lollipop lady.
- Jacob, H., Fertleman, C. (2014). G266 A national syllabus for undergraduate child health: views from the coalface.
- Freiberger, D., Fertleman, C., Afseh, M., Sharpe, L., Goldman, D., Haems, Y., Haems, A. (2014). G57(P) The United Nations Rights of a Child; what is the adolescent perspective?
- Brightwell, A., Minson, S., Ward, A., Leigh, A., Fertleman, C. (2013). G16(P) Supporting Trainees Returning from Maternity Leave – Establishing a Return to Clinical Training Course.
- Macaulay, C.P., Fertleman, C.R. (2012). “What does it mean for our family?”: learning from paediatric patient journeys.
- Fine-Goulden, M.R., Fertleman, C.R. (2012). A questionnaire study of final year medical students investigating the factors influencing them to consider or reject a career in paediatrics.
- Haynes, L., Hann, G., Daniels, J., Fertleman, C. (2012). Child protection in Haringey: a prospective observational study and audit of child protection procedures in two London hospitals.
- Zalkin, M.D., Fertleman, C., Hodes, D. (2011). Paediatric registrar’s views on current child protection training and willingness to undertake child protection work in the current climate: what needs to be done?
- Prince, N.J., Ross, J.G., Fertleman, C.R., Watson, M. (2011). ‘Signpost’ – an innovative online solution to mapping resources to curriculum competences.
- von Stempel, C., Noble, L.M.M., Fertleman, C. (2011). Teaching paediatric-specific communication: learning from a parent’s account.
- Fertleman, C., Prentice, P., Clarke, B. (2010). Using children as participants in paediatric skills objective structured clinical examination who give feedback.
- Fertleman, C.R., Eastwood, J.A., Dawling, S. (1999). Methadone poisoning in children. Proceedings of the Royal College of Paediatrics & Child Health Spring Meeting.